Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spring Cleaning: Oven


Welcome back to the Spring Cleaning series. Now that the stove top is clean, we might as well work on the oven! This takes a little more time to clean, but it was well worth it in the end.

 

I used a very similar technique to what I used on the stove top to clean the oven. However, we are going to start by making a paste with the baking soda before using peroxide.

Ingredients
   Baking Soda
   Water
   Peroxide


Pour about a 1/4 of a cup of baking soda into a bowl. Mix just enough water to make a thick paste. If you add too much water, let the mixture settle and you can pour out the excess water.

Now that your paste is made, we can begin cleaning the oven. First remove your racks and let them soak in some hot soapy water. I put mine in my tub because they were too big for the sink.

Next wipe out the large chunks of burnt food with a cloth. With a paint brush, begin systematically painting the paste into your oven. Make sure you put a thick coat over the entire base of the oven.


Since I have cats and couldn't leave the oven open, I grabbed a blow dryer and blew the door somewhat dry so the paste wouldn't run once it was closed.


You are going to want this to sit for a couple hours, if not oven night before cleaning out the paste. Meanwhile, scrub your racks clean.

After you have let it sit, using a spatula or paint scraper, begin scraping off the paste. This cleaned out the inside of the oven very well, but the lid still had some burned food on it so, using the removed paste, I mixed it with peroxide and allowed it to sit for 15 minutes.

Using my scrubbing pad, I then scrubbed down the inside of the door, removing the majority of the grime. I then took a wet reg and wiped out the entire oven, making sure all the baking soda was removed.


And you're done! No harsh chemicals, no hot house, clean oven!


Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife

Previous Posts:
All-Purpose Cleaner
Burners

1 comment:

  1. With the exception of frozen veggies (which I've always cooked on the stove anyways), I can count on my fingers the number of times we've bought something with "microwave directions" printed on the package. I want to get away from the notion that we have to have something just because everybody else seems to.


    Oven Cleaning Melbourne | Oven Cleaning Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...