Tuesday, January 3, 2012

21 Days to a More Organized Home: Day 2


Welcome back to the "21 Days to a More Organized Home" Challenge!  How did Day 1 go? Did you find that the pros out way the cons? Are you going to partake in the challenge? If so, let everyone know by sharing the challenge's banner (featured on the right), blogging about this challenge, or just telling your friends on Facebook, Google+, or Twitter!

So why do I want to do this challenge? Because it makes me feel good to let go of clutter and have a clean home where both the Mortician and I can find everything we need without searching. Simple as that!

Why are you partaking? Please, feel free to share in the comments, email me, or whatever! I'd love to know and I know others want to know as well! Velody over at Treegold & Beegold has shared her reasons in her blog post today. Hop on over and read what she's got to say!

Now on to Day 2's Challenge!


DAY 2: Time Management

One of the most crucial parts of keeping an organized home is time management. Personally, I am wonderful at this. For some reason it just comes naturally for me, but there are times I slip up because I honestly don't feel like doing something. Now I know that not everyone is like me and that for most people, time management takes a lot of work and effort to achieve. However, it doesn't have to be hard.

The first major step in becoming more organized is to get a planner or calendar. Personal planners with a large section for each day works wonderfully if you have a busy schedule, such as work, meetings, family time, cleaning, etc. Honestly, since graduating I have found personal planners to be less useful since I'm not keeping track of as many dates, projects, and activities. Instead, I have switched to a regular calendar. I have a dry erase calendar in the kitchen so the Mortician and I can share our work schedules and plans and a small desk calendar I use just for myself.

Whether you are busy or not, it is best to have a planner or calendar that you can write in when events come up. My second task for you is to secure a good planner or calendar. It doesn't have to be fancy. They sell them at the Dollar Store and I know Target currently has some great ones for just a dollar as well.

Along with a planner or calendar I suggest each of you print a daily/weekly docket for daily and weekly use. I did not make any for you guys since the web is riddled with them, but I have tracked down my favorites to share. You need not reprint these everyday. Simply put them in a protective sleeve and use a dry erase marker to log your information.


Having a daily task sheet and a set time to do it will hold you accountable for a task so you are more likely to take care of it.  If it is a major task, allot a small amount of time towards completing it. For example, if you want to clean out your garage, spend 30 minutes sorting through some boxes and take a break before returning to the activity (if you have time that is). If you get behind, don't worry. Most of the activities we do in our lives don't have a strict deadline, although setting a deadline forces us to complete tasks we wouldn't do otherwise. Don't give up on organizing your home if you don't get to a certain task each day.

That being said, I STRONGLY encourage everyone to make deadlines for everything in your life. Make them realistic and you won't ever be disappointed. For example, I know how long it takes me to clean my house. If I clean straight through it takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Instead of setting a 30 minute or even an hour time limit, I give myself around 2 to 2 1/2 hours to fully clean my house. I know I get distracted so its best to give me more than I need instead of too little. Do the same for yourself.

So today (and tomorrow), get yourself a calendar or personal planner, and prepare your weekly and daily dockets! Pretty easy, right? That's what I thought!

Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife


 ------------------------------------

Previous Posts:
Day 1: Welcome

2 comments:

  1. Starting your challenge! I'm super excited. ^-^
    My house perpetually looks like one part art studio, one part office & one part 70's hotel room... XD
    We've got severely limited storage space, so this should be a good thing to get organized with! =D

    And since we're moving in June, I would love to have things organized before hand. Soooo... Here I go!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are joining! Getting organized before you move is EXTREMELY helpful. I did the same thing last summer before we moved to our current location. Made things a lot easier when the big day came!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...