Tuesday, January 24, 2012

21 Days to a More Organized Home: Day 15


Welcome back to the "21 Days to a More Organized Home" Challenge. I decided not to post yesterday simply to give you more time with your bedrooms and bedroom closets. I know for a lot of you, cleaning out those rooms will be worse than the garage and basement combined, and that's okay. That is why I gave you guys the extra day. If you finished over the weekend, well, congratulations and hope you enjoyed a day off.

Other than going through our clothes, our rooms and closets are done. It feels good to get rid of a lot of that stuff. Seriously...I did find that one of my action figures I have is not worth over $70. I decided I'm going to continue holding on to them and watch their value grow. I'd rather not jump the gun and lose out later. We don't need the money that bad.

On to day 15!

DAY 15: Your Living Space Clutter

bhg.com
 I know clearing clutter is trying for a lot of you, physically AND emotionally. Getting rid of things is hard on a lot of people, so today, after the bedroom ordeals, I want to give you an easier task. Sort through your living room.

Personally, there isn't clutter, at least not much, in our living room. The clutter that is here is neatly put away out of site. I already started on my living room when I decided to get rid of some books last week. I have a small shelf that has a small  collection and decided to pull only 3 books from it. I still have a dresser to go through and I would like to put all of our DVDs in a one case and store the cases (I am a collector so I won't get rid of them...just safely store them else where) to free up space in our entertainment center. I plan on "downsizing" our entertainment center and the 200 DVD cases aren't going to make it easier.

Your living room shouldn't be much harder to declutter than mine. If it is its because there are a lot of items that simply do NOT belong there taking up space. Your living room should be an expression of your family as a whole, not a war zone of toys, papers, dishes, trash, and nick knacks.

bhg.com
Today I would like you to sort through your living room clutter. I'd also like you to take a look at your decorations and ask yourself, "Are my decorations a reflection of my family as a whole?" If not, get rid of them. You can acquire new things that match your family better later. As Tess from Magical Housekeeping says, its okay to do with out for a time while you get rid of things that don't bring positive energy to your home. I know I hate our kitchen table....so I'm selling it. We won't have a kitchen table for a while, but that's okay. We can do with out. I want you to do the same thing. Donate, sell, or trash every items that doesn't reflect you or your family and doesn't bring positive energy into the home.

If an item makes you feel guilty, get rid of it. This means that ugly figurine your great grandmother gave you years ago that you just hate. Its okay to get rid of it. Someone else will give is a much better home than you would.

Today shouldn't be a hard day. So take your time and enjoy freeing yourself of needless clutter!

Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife


 ------------------------------------

Previous Posts:
Day 1: Welcome
Day 2: Time Management 
Day 3: Using Your Planner 
Day 4, Part 1: Mail Clutter
Day 4, Part 2: An Action File
Day 5: Other Paper Clutter
Pin It! Organized Home Edition 1 
My Planner 
Day 6: Magazine Clutter 
Day 7: Attacking your Fridge 
Day 8: Finishing Off the Freezer 
Day 9: An Organized Pantry
Pin It! Organized Home Edition 2
Day 10: Decluttering Cabinets
Day 11 & 12: The Laundry Monster and the Bathroom Sink
Day 13 & 14: Bedrooms and Closets
Pin It! Organized Home Edition 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...