Saturday, December 10, 2011

DIY: Holiday Wreath


Welcome all party goers! As a special treat, I have put together a tutorial on how to make the beautiful holiday wreath that is currently adorning my door this month.


Supplies

Grape Vine Wreath
Thin Branches (I collected mine from my backyard)
Willow Branches (Curly branches)
White Spray Paint
Ornaments
Floral Decorations
Optional: Floral Wire (I didn't use any but you may want too)

Directions


First gather your grape vine wreath. If it has leaves in it, remove the bulk of them.


Next, remove the leaves from your branches if there are any. As you can see from mine, they are thin, very thin. If you can't find any in your yard, try purchasing some from the craft store. Remove the leaves from your branches if they contain any and start feeding them into your wreath until you have something like what is pictured below. You can secure your branches with floral wire if you like, but if you feed them well enough you don't need the wire.


Next, spray paint your wreath white. Only spray lightly, though. You don't need to put a thick coat on the wreath. You want just enough to give it a white appearance but leave it snowy looking. If you like, you can use spray snow. The point is to achieve a snowy or icy looking wreath.


Next, feed your willow branches into the wreath. Since I bought silver branches, I didn't need to paint them before feeding them into the wreath. If yours are not already white or silver, add them before you paint the wreath.


Next, gathering your floral decorations. I sprayed the ends of mine so you wouldn't see the brown within the wreath.


After they dried, I broke about the silver beads and put three clumps throughout the wreath. In the lower left corner, I added the ornaments (1 large and 1 small) using the left over wire in the sprig. If you don't have left over wire, you will need to purchase some. I then clumped the beads and acorns around the ornaments to give it a finished look.



Finally, hang your wreath up and enjoy!

This project only took me about 30 minutes and turned out fantastic. Total cost was around $12. To buy something like this in the store would cost you between $20 and $50. Just to buy a wispy wreath is $20! I paid $5 for the grapevine and nothing for the branches (except the willow branches which were $2)!

I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and wreath and have fun blog hopping!

Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife

13 comments:

  1. This is great! I am having many posts- most people are linking to the original post or the welcome post. :)

    Happy Yule!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. I love willow and I love silver, but you are far craftier than I. I can only make things out of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely wreath....I love the beautiful simplicity and style this has. Very nice. Thanks for stopping by my blog and Happy Yule, Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wreath! I'm so glad I found your blog, please pop by and visit mine at The Old Wooden Art Table if you wish. :o) http://mickiemuellerart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really nice looking wreath. I will have to do this for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the the TuT. lovely wreath!
    I wish you and yours a blessed Yule!
    love n light,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! I love your header too - so fun. Thanks for participating - Dana and I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is beatiful! Have a Blessed Yule. If you get a chance hop on over and visit me :)

    http://beneaththewitchesmoon.blogspot.com/2011/12/witches-yultide-ball-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the encouraging words! I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. Your directions are so clear. Have a very happy holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely wreath, and what a great tutorial!
    Thank you for visiting me!

    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!
    Chrislyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...