Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Traditions: Christmas Light Viewing


The Mortician and I had a pretty swell weekend, except for a family mishap on Sunday which I am still trying to forget. My brother is home from basic for a few days; need I say more? Despite the mishap, we had a great weekend. Saturday we visited the Darwin exhibit at Fernbank Nature History Museum. The exhibit was amazing, truly amazing. We spent around 2 hours alone in the Darwin wing of the museum alone. I'm still tickled we managed to go see it before it left. The best part was seeing some of his original notebooks, including his original sketch of the tree of life. I almost cried when I saw it. As you can probably tell, I am fascinated by Darwin. In fact, he is one of my heroes, especially considering what I want to do hinges entirely on his work. But enough about Darwin. I could spend all week talking about him, but I'm sure you guys would get bored of it.


Since I spoke about a new family tradition yesterday, I figured I would talk about an old one today. Every year people decorate their houses with lights, blow ups, plastic reindeer, garland, etc. And every year my family sets out to look at those decorations. Saturday night, after the museum, we drove around to look at all the beautiful lights and to see what houses were for sale in the area. We saw some truly amazing houses. I would love to post pictures, but I do not have the consent of the home owners.

Christmas Vacation house
This is a great activity to do with the family because it only costs you the gas. Lake Lanier currently has an entire area of their park decorated with lights. As tempting as it was to go it was $40 per car and a bit of a drive to get there. Honestly, not worth it when I can do the same thing around town for free.

source
I know there is much to be done around the holidays, but why not set aside one evening to spend with your significant other. Drive around local neighborhoods, play some holiday music, and sip on hot chocolate while picking out your favorite houses!


Do you take your family out to look at the lights? When do you like to go out?

Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...