Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Festive Yule Tree and Handmade Ornaments


Welcome all party goers and Happy Yule! My gift to you is a peek into my Yule tree and some of my handmade ornaments. I'm not going to lie, I'm still making ornaments, but that's okay!

Most of the ornaments I purchased or were given to us as a gift from my mother last year. The ones I did buy cost us around $20 total. The handmade ornaments? Free!

The first set of handmade ornaments I have made were inspired by some owl ornaments I found on Pinterest. I am a sucker for birds, so much so I wish to spend my life studying them, so I just had to make these ornaments. You can see in the picture above what I am talking about.


These owls were VERY easy to make, taking about 15 minutes to make 6. First, apply a thin layer of paint to your toilet paper rolls. You don't need to prime first on this project. Just put a thin layer of BRIGHT paint and you should have no problems!


Let it dry, draw your faces either with paint, or in my case, a Shapie, and finish by folding over the tops of make "ears." Of course you don't have to paint the toilet paper rolls. As you can see from the far left owl, I did not paint him. If you are going for a more earthy look, not painting is the way to go!

     

I hope you enjoyed my tree and ornaments so far! I hope the coming year is full of happiness, wealth, and charity.

Happy Yule everyone!
<3The Mortician's Wife

14 comments:

  1. My brain is torn between cute and creepy for those owls. The eyes remind me of orange slices. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the owls are WONDERFUL although the eyes remind me of bicycle wheels.
    Thank you for this simple inspiration.
    I am borrowing this idea for nursing home residents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The owls are great! Wishing you and yours a Blessed Yule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How festive! I love pinterest! Happy Yule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your owl ornaments, very chic and retro. Have a wonderful solstice and yule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW being creative I loved the idea of the Toilet roll owls, they look great, Happy Yule, Hazelxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the owls!!!! Great blog party post - thank you for joining in! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the owls! Too cute!

    Kourtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty tree, and the owls are *adorable*.

    Happy Solstice and Merry Yule!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The owls are so cute. I know my kids would love to make those. Bb, Meadow

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely! The owls are awesome!

    Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't they adorable! I love them :)
    Thanks for sharing your tree and owls with us.
    blessed Yule to you and yours!
    come visit I have a magical gift, and a giveaway.
    Love n light,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't hardly wait for next year; our Little Princess will go wild when she finds out she can make birdie little ornaments with toilet paper rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute cute cute! Sorry, making my rounds a bit late! I love your blog tho and I will be back! Stop in and check out mine if you have time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...