Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween Tree

Today is the day I get to post my beautiful Halloween Tree! I have been holding back on posting so it could be the one of my party posts! I have to say, I'm very proud of my tree and it only cost me around $10 to make! That is pretty fantastic in my opinion.


Please excuse my dirty kitchen in the back ground. Hehe!
First, I collected some branches from my back yard. Since I couldn't find one solid branch that I loved, I pieced together several into a form I liked and secured them with a rubber band. Next I gave the branches a lovely coat of black spray paint to give them a more spooky feel.


Using a large cast iron cauldron I bought a year ago at a flea market, I placed a Styrofoam floral cube (not the soft ones that hold water) in the bottom and stuck the branches deep into it. Since there was a lot of room left around the cube and the cauldron walls, I stuffed the sides with pine straw. I finished the look by covering the pine straw and foam with decorative moss I purchased at Micheal's Craft Store and stringing fuax spider webs along the branches.


Of course, you can't have a real Halloween tree without ornaments! Since I have been hoarding toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls, I decided creating my own ornaments from these would be cheap and easy! The Mortician and I decided on pumpkins, cats, bats, and basic green orbs to adorn our tree with.

First, I flattened the rolls and measured out 1/2 inch sections. Next I cut along these measurements creating several 1/2 inch flattened sections for my ornaments.

 

Next I covered the ornaments in primer since cardboard sucks up paint like no other.


After they were dry, I painted my sections orange, green, and black. For the pumpkins, I painting 5 sections each and only 3 sections for the cats, bats, and orbs. I made sure to separate each ornament out so I knew how many I would have of each. I ended up making 3 pumpkins, 6 green orbs, 4 bats, and 4 cats.


I let them dry for about 20 minutes before breaking out the glue. For the pumpkins, I cut two sections to form the sides of the pumpkins and left 3 in tact. For the orbs, bats, and cats, I glued two sections together and let them dry before gluing on the third section. I secured each area containing glue to make sure the ornaments held together.


Once dry, I added the last sections to the orbs, bats, and cats. While drying, I drew bat wings and ears on black card stock. The wings and ears need to have a little extra added to them so you can fold a section back and attach them with glue to the ornament. Using glitter glue, I drew faces on the cats and bats. Using fishing line, I stung the ornaments up and added them to my tree! Pretty simple!

 


Do you have a Halloween tree? Did you make or buy your ornaments? If you made your own, what did you use to make them? I am on the look out for new ideas for next year so I can continue to add to my tree!


Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife

30 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your cauldron find and I love your creative use to make the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DIY projects! Especially when you can get fabulous looks for less. Great job on the Halloween tree. This would make a wonderful centerpiece. Thanks for stopping by my party ;)

    http://castlesandcarriages.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-guests-from-fanciful-twist.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing how to make a Halloween Tree! Love the ornaments.

    Have a Happy Halloween!!!


    http://peachycheek.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tree! It would be magical with some black glitter sprinkled about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! I especially like that it can be easily made with found items - nice work!!

    Thank you for visiting my carving party today :)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the great comments!

    Maggie, if only the glitter wouldn't linger! It would deinfately look great with some glitter in the branches. Maybe I'll add some next year. Apply a little bit of spray glue and sprinkle with some black glitter! That would be pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this tree .. gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Halloween tree is very cute! I did a a couple of branches like that last year and it really was a effective and affordable way to decorate for Halloween. Thanks for stopping by I'm following you back! :)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'morning..your tree is just PRECIOUS. I love the idea. Where will you store it ? That is always my problem.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my place. Hope you come back sooon...I am going to follow you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops, I don't see a FOLLOW ME....?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my party post today. And yes, I do, or rather, I have had Halloween trees. I don't have one up this year. A few years ago I had a FULL SIZE Halloween tree. I bought a six foot fake tree on super duper clearance one year at Walmart (I know, Walmart? But it's the only store we have in our small town practically) for... are you ready for this.... for $5!!! I had lots of little odds and ends Halloween decorations that filled it up and I bought some garlands and twinkly lights to finish it off. I haven't had time to put it up the last few years but I'm hoping to do so next year. I also have a beautiful manzanita branch (all curvy and spooky) spray painted black that I bought for something silly like 50 cents at the thrift shop. I hope to put that out as well. Your tree is very sweet - the wee decorations are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How crafty you are! Love all the ideas. Thanks for sharing :)
    I will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope my first comment went through ;)

    ♥ Vanessa (A Fanciful Twist)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a great time visiting your art room. You cave me so many great ideas for next year. Thank you for sharing. Please visit me:
    momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very awesome and frugal...not to mention the recycling!! I love it, and so very glad I came!! (even though I am under the weather)
    I have pinned this!!
    Be well and Happy Halloween!
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spooky and cute tree! Happy Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for coming by and visiting my blog at my blog party. I am so glad you liked my spiders. Believe it or not, I am terrified of spiders too. I tell my husband that I want a real pet tranchula. So hopefully I can over come my fears. Happy Halloween.

    http://kellibearhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do have a Halloween tree. But I must admit that I purchased it! LOL And then I put Nightmare Before Christmas ornaments on it! Thanks for coming over to visit my Halloween party - I was happy to have you drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog!

    And such an adorable Halloween tree...I've never had one of my own, though when I was a kid, my mom had one she purchased that she brought out in October. I hesitate to put anything too dangly out as I have three very nosy cats who would have a field day taking it down!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This Halloween tree is so cool! You have given me tons of inspiration and I will have to be doing lots more decorating throughout the week! Happy Halloween!

    http://broomsticksandlace.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-halloween-fanciful-twist.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I soooo want a Halloween next year! Thank you for the inspiration to make it a reality!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this is darling! I used to have a Halloween tree years ago but misplaced it. This look easy enough and too fabulous not to try ~ thanks!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love your halloween tree :)
    why not hop over for a spooky tale at my place :
    http://madame-mels.blogspot.com/2011/10/tale-of-curiosity.html
    the more the merrier :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, come ON!! Are those the cutest ornaments?!
    I love this. I'm going to make a tree, and I'm going to use these ornaments.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tree ornaments are so cute and creative, love your tree :)
    Happy Halloween and Enjoy the Party!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you all for the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooo what a great idea. I love your Halloween tree, I think the bat ornaments were my favourites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. HAVE A SPOOKTACULAR HALLOWEEN! FUN CRAFTS & PICS...

    Please fly by my party when you can...
    Hauntingly Yours, Lyndy >^..^<

    Princess Diana's Wedding Ring Giveaway & Haunted Halloween Party:
    http://todaysgold.blogspot.com/

    P.S. This ring can be used as a Magickal Dowser...

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was a lot of work and it turned out wonderfully - great job. Hope you can stop by my enchanted oven for party sweets.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Delightfully creative! Sincerest apologies for my delay in thanking you kindly for dropping by my Halloween party post! The skeletons have had dreadful tummy aches and that darn broom took off on its own again :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...