Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DIY: Homemade Washing Soda

I love making homemade cleaners, but I have been unable to try many for the simple fact that I can't find washing soda in the stores, even in the pool section. Its absolutely frustrating, but I have coped. Currently, the only cleaners I would like to make that include washing soda are homemade detergents. In the course of looking for cleaning recipes, I realized I only really needed two things, vinegar and baking soda. Really, I only used vinegar, but when cleaning drains, I break out the baking soda. I'll make a post later of what I use my vinegar spray for, but this post is for making your own washing soda!

I have noticed lately I'm not the only one who can't  find washing soda in the store, so I did a bit of research. Really, I was looking up if there was a suitable alternative or if I could do a little chemistry at home. Turns out, you can do a little chemistry at home, which is great! As it turns out, sodium bicarbonate aka Baking Soda reacts with higher temperatures, around 300-400 degrees Fahrenheit. When exposed to these temperatures, the baking soda releases carbon dioxide, becoming sodium carbonate aka washing soda! Simple as that! So how can you make your own?


Supplies:
1 lbs baking soda
baking sheet

First, preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover your baking sheet with foil. This will allow you to easily remove the washing soda when its ready. Spread the pound of baking soda evenly over the baking sheet. This will ensure that it reacts evenly and therefore turns into washing soda. Bake in the oven for one hour. Using gloves, transfer the now washing soda to a jar and seal it tightly. Be careful! Washing soda is more alkaline than baking soda, meaning it can irritate and possibly burn your skin.

And there you have it, homemade washing soda! I hope this has been helpful, and I would love to know what you make at home with washing soda!

Look Alive!
<3The Mortician's Wife

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...